What would you do if you could have a bit of extra income?
Would you fund a hobby, or save for a trip? Or finally buy that dream house? Maybe you are one of the 15% who are using a side hustle to start a new business.
In any case, if you want to earn some extra cash, you aren’t alone. As the gig economy grows, so do opportunities to make a bit of money on the side. It’s just a matter of knowing what your options are.
The Cashflow Quadrant
I have read a lot of books by Robert Kiyosaki and one of them was “The Cashflow Quadrant”. This divided people into quadrants and it explains how each quadrant makes money.
There are two categories of people in the world, those who see the world through the left side of Rich Dad’s CASHFLOW Quadrant and those who see it through the right side.
E is for employee
S is for self-employed
B stands for Business Owner
I stands for Investor
The dividing line between those who are struggling in today’s economy and those who are prospering is the line between the two sides of the CASHFLOW Quadrant.
Build Wealth Inline With Your Views!
From the above we can see that there are various ways you can make money. You can be an employee, be self employed, be a large business owner or an investor. You need to find a way that aligns with your goals and your skills.
I personally have gone down the business route. I do have a job at the moment, but, I am also building my global online business.
The good thing about the world we live in now is that you don’t have to choose one method only. You can work on one while doing another one. The economy is thriving on part-time positions, side hustles, and temporary gigs, so it might be in your best interest to keep your options open —at least for the time being.
Some Ways To Make Money…
- Ask for a raise
- Do micro tasks – e.g. Microworkers.comor TaskRabbit.com
- Make and sell DIY things – e.g. Etsy.com
- Get a delivery job
- Join focus groups
- Set up a concierge vintage/luxury store – e.g. Eames.com
- Use rewards programs – Every time you buy groceries, coffee or fast food you could be earning cash and rewards.
- Teach English to little kids
- Give someone a ride – e.g. Uber and Lyft
- Install a lock screen app – e.g. See an ad when you unlock your phone. Get paid.
- Provide moving help
- Do seasonal work
- Become a content writer – check out how to launch a freelance writing career.
- Do customer service and administrative support from home
- Open an investment account – check out a robo-advisor service
- Join a mock jury
- Flip items on eBay
- Walk dogs
- Look for unclaimed cash
- Grocery shop for cash
- Start a house sitting service
- Score and administer standardized tests
- Become a programmer
- Work at major events
- Prepare taxes for your friends and family
- Rent out your hardware to others
- Sell your blog
- Evaluate search engines – check out Appen and Lionbridge
- Publish an eBook
- Do financial aid paperwork
- Tutor online or in person
- Click on websites
- Detail cars
- Edit and proofread documents
- Buy and sell domain names
- Save your change
- Become a Nielsen family
- Become a social media manager
- Grow your personal social media profiles
- Join a street team or become a brand ambassador
- Replace cracked screens
- Be a tour guide
- Sell confectionery
- Apply for grants
- Create an online course – check out Skillshare
- Plan vacations for others
- Retouch photos
- Become a voiceover artist
- Design logos
- Wash cars for cash
- Get a second job
- Rent out your car
- Scrap your old gold
- Work as a handy person
- Become a mystery shopper
- Participate in medical research
- Sell your old clothes – e.g. Depop.com or Vestiairecollective.com
- Flip property – check out 3 ways to invest in a crowdfunded real-estate project
- Participate in GPT (Get Paid To) sites
- Rent out your space – e.g. Airbnb
- Sell your unwanted electronics
- Invest spare change – e.g. mobile banking and investment apps
- Wrap your car in ads
- Watch movie and television trailers – e.g. VolKno
- Become a consultant – check out consulting other businesses or individuals as a freelancer.
- Offer childcare
- Switch bank accounts
- Sell your old textbooks
- Write product reviews
- Work as an extra
- Buy storage lots
- Enter a contest
- Reconsider your phone cable and internet plans
- Work as a ref or umpire
- Be a model
- Become an interpreter
- Learn to fix computers
- Mine crypto coins
- Sell your gaming assets
- Start an affiliate blog
- Work as a translator
- Be a substitute teacher
- Help someone with their resume
- Become a YouTube personality
- Get a vending machine
- Create stock photos
- Be a researcher
- Plan events
- Sign on as a Virtual Assistant
- Test websites – e.g. UserTesting.com or Test.io
- Sell your gift cards
- Make money when you search online
- Take surveys
- Become a notary public
- Provide assistance to the disabled or elderly
- Transcribe audio and video
- Grow and sell fruits and vegetables
- Host dinner parties – check out Eatwith.com
- Host one-off workshops
- Become a personal/group trainer
- Create photo content for brands
- Start your own online business with Me
A Final Thought
Before making any big decisions, I suggest you get your financial education on.
There are so many things to learn and with technology and youtube, a lot of the information is free.
Here is a video that I found very useful.