Mindset is a set of attitudes, says Carol Dweck, a world-renowned Stanford psychologist, who discovered after years of research that dedication, hard work and resilience are much more important to growth and success than brains or talent. When we change our mindset to one of growth, we change the course of our lives.
We can do these simple steps every day, quickly and easily, to improve our mindset. Here are 20 Mindset Improvement Tips:
- Learn what’s important to you: If it’s your family that matters most to you then don’t spend all your time at work. Learn what’s important to you and prioritise that.
- Challenge the status quo: We are taught to believe certain things. We are taught that it is honorable to work hard and that we should crave traditional signs of wealth and success. You get to choose. Don’t be afraid to be different.
- Choose lifestyle design: Lifestyle design means that you choose the job that supports the lifestyle you want – not the other way around!
- Tap into flow: A flow state is a state of complete and total focus and concentration. It is often described as peak human performance. It tends to happen when you work on something you are truly passionate about.
- Try stoicism: Stoicism is a school of philosophy all about learning to weather the storm. It is a powerful toolset.
- Try CBT: CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy. This is another approach to taking control of your thoughts and the impact that they can have on your emotion.
- Meditate: Meditation is something everyone should practice. This means calming the mind and practicing focus. It can make you measurably smarter and is incredibly good for your sense of wellbeing too.
- Be willing to put in the time and effort: Achieving goals takes time. You have to avoid the temptation to look for ‘quick fixes’.
- Believe it will work: We go to work everyday because we know we’ll get paid for it. If you want to stick to a training program, you need to know that you’ll get results.
- Have a vision, not a goal: This is a picture of your perfect future, that will motivate you.
- Make a plan: From there, build a goal that will help you make the vision real.
- Don’t break the chain: Get a calendar and tick off every day that you stick to your plan. On the days you miss, you don’t get to tick. Don’t break the chain!
- Look after your body: Your body fuels your mind. If you are hungry, tired or ill you can’t perform at your mental best.
- Be willing to change: It is not a crime to change your mind or your opinion. Liberate yourself by being willing to go back on what you once said or believed.
- Learn that emotions are transient: Don’t act in haste. If you are angry or sad, know that it will pass and make decisions when you are calmer.
- Don’t tie your sense of accomplishment up in your career: You can be a successful artist without being a professional artist!
- Ask: does this serve your goals?: Know your goal and make every decision through that lens.
- Energy is finite: Time management is important, but energy management may be more important still!
- Live now: Don’t put your dreams on hold. If you have the opportunity to live your dreams, do it!
- It’s never too late to be what you always wanted to be: Likewise, just because you’re old don’t think the ship has sailed. It is never too late.
That’s it— 20 tips and you are well on your way to a more positive mindset. Practice this for just two weeks. You will see a tremendous difference in your productivity and your attitude.